Dwr Cymru Welsh Water HQ, Nelson
Horizon were contracted to carry out extensive improvement contract to the infrastructure of the entire complex.
The works consisted of:
- Excavation of existing block on screed footways
- Provision of kerbs and edgings, and full construction with bitumen macadam (tarmac) surfacing.
- Excavation of existing sub-standard surface water system, to the concrete service yard and replaced with new safety curb drainage system.
- The existing concrete exit road had failed and was replaced by full construction with bitmac surfacing, surface water was catered for with pcc channels connecting to the existing system.
- Additional car parking areas were provided from landscaped areas with ACO drainage to the existing system and bollards to separate pedestrians and traffic the length of the building. During construction the main power and communications runs were successfully negotiated.
- An existing landscaped pond area had become overgrown due to lack of maintenance and was obscuring light to offices and security cameras. The ponds were leaking and the pumped circulatory system had failed. Our scope was to remove most of the mature trees, remove a footbridge, fill the ponds with excavated material from the overall scheme.
An existing retaining wall, now redundant was rendered to the rear, a large block paved area with seating provided. On commencing this part of the project a colony of frogs were discovered in the ponds and works were immediately suspended, the colony was relocated by the clients ecology department and after the breeding season works were recommenced. Resources were deployed on other contracts at no additional cost to the client.