As part of the Highways Design and Construction, NEC Short Form Contract, Horizon provided 3 teams with equipment and haulage vehicles to undertake environmental improvement works to footways and the carriageway in Holton Road, Barry.
Holton Road is a busy shopping area in the town, with two-way traffic, 5 junctions, a junior school at one end. Extensive traffic and pedestrian management was deployed which constantly changed as work progressed. This was carried out by our own suitably qualified staff. Close liaison with business owners was maintained throughout the works to ensure minimum disruption and safe access for the public. Work outside the school was phased to coincide with the half term break.
Scope of works:
- The pedestrian and traffic management was established to maintain access to local business and school
- The works consisted of build outs at the junctions to provide clearer visibility to vehicles entering Holton Road
- New kerbs were laid to existing camber levels
- Additional gulley’s were provided at the existing channel line and connected to the carrier drain
- Provision for the surface water on the new footways was accommodated with channel lines
- Tactile paving installed, controlled and uncontrolled. Paving full construction with bitmac (Tarmac) surfacing
- Existing kerb lines were renewed and footways fully reconstructed from modular paving to bitmac (Tarmac) surfacing
- Traffic signs and bollards were erected throughout the works
In response to highways authority request during the Christmas holiday period; Horizon re-adjusted programme plans enabling demobilization within the week at no additional cost to the client and redeployed our resources to other contracts until we recommenced in January.
Very helpful supplying a skilled workforce at short notice and working within tight deadlines